Sunday, May 11, 2008

MTF WEEK 8 CLASS PRESENTATIONS 2


(This is Sam Glam on bass plus me pretending to be a sound engineer…)

This week we continued our investigation of engineers and producers through the researches of our class-mates. First up was Shane’s presentation on American musician and engineer, Patrick Carney. I’m a fan of the Black Keys and that new blues thing generally, so I enjoyed hearing about his very bohemian approach to recording music, “half parts cool shit and half parts broke ass shit”, was a good summary. Having allowed for the broke ass shit, the guy is obviously in possession of some fine skills as demonstrated by the incredibly gutsy sound of the Keys music. Interesting to note also, that he shares the opinion of Dave G with regard to there being a “right or wrong microphone” for any given recording job – the expensive mic isn’t always the right mic. Think I’ve got that down now. I thought Shane made a good job of it: he gave us a handout by way of support material and used music samples effectively to demonstrate his points. Well done, cobba! Next up was Kristie in the limelight who chose one Joe Barrassi, producer of Tool, the Melvins, Bad Religion, Anthrax and I’m sure many more. Kristie did a very thorough job of researching Joe’s background and recording techniques, something I missed in my presentation (my fault for choosing an obscure subject). I particularly liked the way that Kristie took a subjective stance in her presentation, ie: “I like this producer because…”. She’s the only one of us who has emphasised this point so far and it’s a good thing to do. Looking forward to next week’s exciting instalment.

No comments: