Monday, May 19, 2008

AUDIO STUDIES WEEK 9 PT SEQUENCING CONTD

So we continue our journey in and around Planet Pro Tools. I’m chuffed to discover that all plug-in parameters can be automated and further that they can be controlled with external controllers; the Novation keyboard in the audio lab and presumably the mixing desk in Studio 1. I’ve found the plug in information that we are covering very useful at the moment as I have been working on a demo for a band that I somewhat impetuously began a while back, before realising that I would be flat out doing assignments and have no time to indulge myself with free studio time, sigh. Strangely, the more I use the plug-ins in all their saveable, copy-and-pasteable glory, the more my mix sounds like crap! I am going to adopt the attitude of a female, fin-de-siecle, photographer (whose name eludes me at the mo’) to the effect that for her, the photograph ended at the negative; cropping, exposure compensation and other post-negative manipulation were just so much toss. Adapt this to the recording studio and it becomes; the band must sound perfect before it is even worth beginning, the vibe must be right and the music wonderful. Plug-ins are cake-icing.

GLAMVILLE

References:
C. Haines, Lecture, Audio Studies, 14/05/08

2 comments:

Lauren said...

im guessing that's going to be the last audio studies post then???

Dorothy Pawlowski said...

yes ha ha silly old moi!