Monday, April 14, 2008

SES WEEK 6 GUEST GUITARIST

Many thanks to our special guest, kick-arse guitarist who came along this week and allowed us to perform EXPERIMENTS on him (hee hee, demonic laughter). These experiments were similar to those we carried out with vocals to listen to the variations possible with one voice and many mics, but this week’s session also gave us more of an insight into mic positioning variations. I found it useful to note that positioning the mic across the speaker at an angle rather than directly into the speaker gave a better result. I suppose that this is also the reason that you don’t stick kick drum mics directly into the drum facing the hammer. Speaking of hammers, Dave keeps hammering home that whatever works best, works best and stuff the rules (as long as you don’t actually blow anything up, I guess). Sound advice (get it, get it?). Of huge relief to me personally was the information that I am not in fact insane and that the recording-space-to-studio-2 patch had been repatched. I could have cried with frustration the week previously when I could get no signal from one to the other and no headphone mix (I suppose I should have tried ALL of the headphone outs in the recording space but who would have guessed that only 3 and 4 work? What do I do when I have more than 2 artists in there wanting headphone mixes?). See you after the “break”.

No comments: