Sunday, April 6, 2008

AUDIO STUDIES WEEK 5 SEQUENCING

This week's fun and games centred around sequencing in Pro-tools which, OK, I find bizarre. Mainly because I had only really thought of Pro-tools as a real-time recorder and I suppose that when you are working with samples and grid modes, yes of course there you have a sequencer but all of my sequencing in the past has been done in environments such as Fruity Loops within the framework of a nice simple graphic representation and which to me has been a natural progression of the analogue step sequencers of my mis-spent youth (sigh), ie: piss-easy. Having said that, we all know that Pro-tools is an immensely powerful program and, as I've said previously, the only way to come to grips with these is to spend a lot of time using them. So far I am having trouble with this - I can't find the extra time to get into the audio lab and may have to consider a visit or two in the dead of night to catch up, like some kind of Phantom of the 4th floor. I enjoy the theory side of audio studies and getting down and dirty with the anatomy of a sound file is interesting, as is the analysis of digital audio that we have been force-fed over the past few weeks. I feel like a goose, a goose with fois-gras destiny - whatever will become of my audiological liver (yes, it's past my bedtime, sorry)....

No comments: