Monday, April 14, 2008

MTF WEEK 6 MORE THOUGHTS ON LISTENING

It’s getting a bit difficult to know what to blog on about with regard to MTF – we spend every week listening to CD’s. Now don’t get me wrong, I understand the whys and wherefores and how’d you do’s of this process but it’s hard to put into words the evolution that I am convinced is taking place within my sense of music perception. My notes for this week read, “Production techniques – used to bugger-up other people’s music”. Um, I can only assume the reasoning behind this somewhat bitter sentiment is the example that Dave played us first of the 13 year old girl and her sweet (and yes, somewhat sickly but she WAS 13) song played atrociously on acoustic guitar but attention-grabbing nevertheless. At least, I listened to it all the way through. Then the “produced” version, which lost my attention within 10 seconds – not only had the producer managed to “bugger-up” the innocent charm of the original but he/she had messed with the actual melody which didn’t need no messing. I am sure there is probably a way of retaining the naiveté of the original whilst making it more palatable for less masochistic palates than mine, so I can only assume that the producer in question was not up to the job. Leave well enough alone. OK, on to my choice of assessment producer – I decided to choose a LADY producer…. Oh, dear, there aren’t any. Bugger again.

No comments: