Monday, March 24, 2008

SES WEEK3 SIGNAL PATH AND GAIN STRUCTURE


OK yes, here am I still giggling about the concept of the wall bay as a “wallaby”, particularly given the context of the EMU studio. What led you astray, Liana? But I’m like that. So we discussed signal path – it’s the path the signal travels, apparently (I would never have guessed) but we kinda watched its progress through the wallaby and into the Studio 2 Pro-tools set up. This followed by an attempt to stimulate the studio monitors into action given that they had now been apparently permanently wired into the master output (which seems like the logical thing to me and I wonder why they weren’t before?). Also, the control room wallaby has apparently been repatched and relabelled, specifically to embarrass David while he is trying to maintain the flighty attention of Sound Engineering students. It was a good practical exercise in tracking down problems, though I still reckon that 6 people at a time in the control room is enough. I can’t see or hear what’s going on. We mic’d up the ever present crappy radio and obtained the desired effect at the end, while I gained some useful insights into other people’s musical tastes, ahem. Gain structure, well... the cut or boost applied to the signal as it jaunts along its path. Both of this week's concepts are crucial to successful audio production, both live and in the studio, it seems to me.

No comments: