Tuesday, March 4, 2008

SES WEEK 1 MIC LEADS AND STANDS


Today's lecture was good news. I suppose it put the whole Diploma in context for some of us who are perhaps feeling a little bemused by the Uni environment, which can leave one overwhelmed with procedure. However, we broached the confines of the studio and lo, we now have a justification for that which has come before and a sense of anticipation for that which is to follow (I'm being subjective and reflective, not to mention silly, here).


On a practical note, what can compare with the satisfaction of watching a smoothly uncoiling microphone lead trail obediently behind one across the floor, knowing all the while that one has caused this poetry-in-motion to be? To experience at first hand the workings and mechanical ingenuity of a precisely engineered microphone stand - so distant a cry from the, dare I say it, crap that one is so used to employing in the course of one's employment as the lowest quality of live musician. Finally, the tremulous thrill of clutching $6000 worth of Neumann microphone (spelling uncertain) is a highlight I shall certainly be sharing with my nearest and dearest.


It's a shame that such a long school day precedes the studio session - I for one would love to approach the studio with a fresh brain (my own), but c'est la vie and whoopee, "we gonna have some fun tonight". (That was my first, last and only un-serious post, promise)

1 comment:

Ben said...

There is also a Rode NTV worth a measly $10,000.

*shudder*

I can barely even hold it. Last I checked it was in the big silver suitcase at the bottom of the mic cupboard.