Monday, March 24, 2008

MTF WEEK 3 THE BIG BAD RECORD INDUSTRY

More discussion about the respective roles about the music producer and the studio engineer and I must admit that, as an (alleged) artist, I find the idea of someone meddling in my musical affairs quite repellent, though perhaps I would feel differently if I was being paid in 6 figure amounts for my music. So, we understand that the producer has a great deal of creative control of the project content while the engineer is relegated to the task of making everything sound good, sometime hampered or assisted in this process by the producer once again. However, the jobs cross over to some extent and, in smaller recording projects particularly, it is not uncommon for the engineer to wear the hat of the producer and even the humble artist to assume some responsibility for the content of their own CD, wow. The subject of royalties is one of perpetual interest to me as I’m always trying to find ways of getting some. The trick in the music biz seems to be to write hit songs, and have some big name perform them (now that I know this, I expect to get rich as soon as I stop blogging and start writing songs again). The song writer gets the sales royalties, the performer gets performance royalties and there are mechanical royalties to be divvied up as well. Where the hell’s mine?

No comments: