Tuesday, March 25, 2008

AUDIO STUDIES WEEK 3 EDITING

And so we get gritty with the nitty at last. I’m not sure I’ve quite got my head around the sampling rate and bit depth concepts. I’m happy with the verbal definitions but the visual presentation via the diagrams Christian furnished leaves me confused. Oh, and the idea that each sample/ snap shot is a representation of the sound’s amplitude at that time… surely there should also be some information as to the frequency and other characteristics or you would just end up with a digital representation of the amplitude envelope of the sound? As far as using the software goes (Bias Peak LE again), I have no issues with that. It seems like fairly straightforward editing analogous to video or even word processing when you get down to it. It’s funny how computers have enabled us to do pretty much the same things over a large range of applications, I suppose that’s the advantage of “non-linear” access but it still seems two dimensional in some ways. As to the pros and cons of analogue versus digital media, personally I had never given it much thought before. One just accepts the technology as it happens on the assumption that it must be an improvement on what was available before. Upon analysis, it seems that this assumption works in the field of audio and sound engineering, at least within the realms of technology which can be afforded by mere mortals such as myself.

No comments: