Tuesday, June 10, 2008

MTF - WEEK 12 - STUDIOS

This week’s session involved having a decko at various music recording studios about town (sadly, I don’t see any of them advertising for staff) as well as an advertising audio-production-and-jingle-writing establishment. Anyway, they all look like fun places to work and I wish I did. Co-incidentally, I was treated to a personal tour of one of Adelaide’s commercial TV studios over the weekend, from an audio production perspective. At least, that’s how my friend presented his job to me but it seemed upon investigation to be vastly more complicated than that and he (my mate) wears a large number of technological hats simultaneously. Now THAT looks like some serious fun, however, the centralised nature of TV production in Australia renders this field of employment opportunity somewhat dubious... bummer. I’m starting to think about what I shall do with myself when this course is over. The possibility of working out of an existing studio as a music recording engineer seems a bit intermittent, particularly in Adelaide (and in light of what we have been studying in this subject) – am I good enough? Will it bring home the bacon? What other options are there? I think I would like to be a highly-paid academic...

References:

D. Grice, Lecture, Music Technology Forum, 03/06/08

No comments: