Saturday, June 7, 2008

MTF - STUDIO PRESENTATION (MIX)



The audio files that I chose to remix originated from Peter Gabriel’s alternative rock/ new wave song “Shock the Monkey”, (released 1982 on Geffen) which was produced by Peter Gabriel and David Lord.

The overall structure of the audio is as follows:

 31 x unsynchronised audio files of various durations
 file type mp3 @ sample rate of 44.1 kHz(?)
 no pro-tools session data
 tempo nominally 148.64 bpm (according to supplied documentation)
 time signature: 4/4
 base-key: D minor
 longest audio file: 04:08m

The audio tracks included:

 various live percussion (several tracks)
 bass guitar (several tracks)
 electric guitar (several tracks)
 synthesized brass (several tracks)
 marimbas (and synthesized marimba)
 lead vocals (several tracks)
 back up vocals (several tracks)
 various “filler” sounds (several tracks)
 what sounds suspiciously like a Fairlight CMI

After performing the analysis of the provided audio as detailed above, I researched possible remix techniques. My initial researches in the Elder Music Library were surprisingly fruitless so I tried the internet. Most of the references to remixing that I did find were mostly in various sound production forums and were often unattributed (to “real” people). Eventually, however, I found five techniques that I thought I could reasonably interpret into my remix.


“Now ev’ry gambler knows that the secret to survivin’
Is knowin’ what to throw away and knowing what to keep.”
- Kenny Rogers, “The Gambler”


I began by analysing each track and decided what to remove and what to work with. I focussed on percussion and tuned percussion type sounds with vocals and some keyboard strings for contrast. After deleting unwanted tracks, I was left with 17 of the tracks to work with. I then decided how I wanted the remix to begin and set Pro Tools in grid mode with the tempo specified as 148.64bpm and the grid resolution set to 1/16.

This is when I applied remix technique No. 1 which formed the most important structural premise for my whole remix, namely:

“...my favorite (sic) thing is to chop up a bunch of loops and totally twist the song...1”

That is, to chop up whole audio files into smaller regions and sounds and restructure them into new loops and patterns. I chopped individual percussion hits out of percussion tracks and the attack segments of melodic tracks and recombined them into new drum beats. I used the same technique to make new melodic parts and bass lines using larger segments of the audio files. Once I had my basic drum patterns and melodic parts, I looped and recombined these to form the basis of the remix. Another aspect to this is:

“...skipping beats...2”

That is, totally removing percussive elements to give a syncopated feeling.

Next I applied a remixing technique where the kick drum track is duplicated twice and the copies are used to trigger both higher and lower kick drum sounds, then a phase shift is applied to the EQ of the duplicates, thus:

“...apply EQ phase sweep to kick drum copy...3”

I simplified the technique somewhat by just duplicating the kick drum track altogether then applying an automated filter sweep to the copy.

Next I applied (my personal favourite) from the “chopped and screwed” school of hip-hop remixing which involves:

“...select time stretch from the menu and time the tempo with the vocals as you change the pitch...4”

I applied this to both “normal” vocal parts and heavily chopped vocal parts.

The final technique which I used was gleaned from an article referring to methods to spoil unauthorised music downloads, like this:

“...shifting channels (sounds like a speaker cut out).5”

My channel shift was applied as panning automation synchronised to the grid.

Altogether, I enjoyed this exercise, not least because I detest the original song and was looking forward to making some improvements to it (hopefully).

References

1 “Uncle Jerr”, Studio Recording Engineer (forum)
http://www.studiorecordingengineer.com/ftopict-1019.html
Retrieved 20/05/08


2 Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chopped_and_screwed
Retrieved 20/05/08

3 Tom Holkenborg, Interview with Randy Alberts, Digidesign
http://www2.digidesign.com/digizine/archive/digizine_august04/protechniques/
Retrieved 20/05/08

4 “Mr. New Material”, Associated Content
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/269048/the_perfect_mixx_how_to_chop_and_screw.html
Retrieved 02/06/08

5 Startling Moniker
http://startlingmoniker.wordpress.com/2007/09/20/mediadefender-remixes-chopped-screwed/
Retrieved 20/05/08

No comments: